Chimney fire doused in Stratfield Road house
Published 11:00 am, Tuesday, November 1, 2011
A fire that broke out in the chimney of a Stratfield Road house Sunday night was confined to the chimney by firefighters who prevented it from causing damage to the rest of the structure.
The fire, reported shortly after 7 p.m. at 779 Stratfield Stratfield, was in an unlined chimney of older construction. The house remained habitable and the family was not displaced.
Firefighters dispatched Engines 1, 2, 3 and 5, Ladder trucks 1 and 2, and Car 3 to the scene.
Sparks and embers were shooting from the chimney when the first fire crew arrived at the house.
The homeowner told firefighters the fireplace was being used in the usual manner when he "heard a loud noise followed by a roar similar to a jet engine" erupt from the chimney. The home had not been affected by power outages or other issues caused by Saturday's nor'easter.
"This fire reinforces the need for homeowners to have qualified people perform inspections and services on fireplaces and chimneys," Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bisson said in a later statement. "It is a good practice for homeowners to check with the department of consumer protection or the better business bureau when making a decision to select a contractor to perform work on their home."