(skip this header)

Fairfield Citizen

Saturday, November 29, 2014

fairfieldcitizenonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Early-morning fire quickly extinguished at S&S Dugout

Published 12:28 pm, Wednesday, February 6, 2013

nextprevious

  • An early morning fire in the kitchen area of the S & S Dugout Restaurant on the Post Road was quickly contained Wednesday. Photo: Contributed Photo / Fairfield Citizen
    An early morning fire in the kitchen area of the S & S Dugout Restaurant on the Post Road was quickly contained Wednesday. Photo: Contributed Photo

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

Residents living above the S&S Dugout restaurant in the Southport section of town were able to escape an early-morning fire Wednesday thanks to a phone call alerting firefighters and the building's fire alarm.

The structure at 3449 Post Road dates back to 1924, and the fire -- reported about 5 a.m. -- was contained to the restaurant's kitchen and quickly brought under control.

Four residents were evacuated from the second-floor living area and briefly displaced. But they were able to return to their single-room apartments after smoke was ventilated from the second floor. None of the building residents suffered any injuries.

The restaurant was temporarily closed for cleaning and restoration, though the owner hoped to reopen later in the day after inspections by the Health Department and Fire Marshal.

The Fire Department was alerted to the fire by a restaurant employee's phone call as well as fire-alarm system in the building, according to fire officials. Engines 1, 2, 4 and 5, along with Ladders 1 and 2, were dispatched to the fire scene, assisted by Squad 14 of the Southport Volunteer Fire Department.