A fifth man was charged on a warrant Wednesday for what police said was his role in a September home invasion on Lenox Road.

Arthur Lloyd Preston, 21, of Bridgeport, was charged with conspiracy to commit home invasion, first-degree burglary and first-degree robbery.

Preston, who police believe did not actually enter the home during the incident, was arrested while in Bridgeport Superior Court and currently is imprisoned on unrelated charges. His bond for the Lenox Road incident was set at $50,000.

Charged previously in the case were accomplices Anthony Rodriguez, 21, of Campfield Drive; Richard Taylor, 22, of Melville Drive, and Darius Dennis and Legrander Worley, both 22 of Bridgeport.

Police said the men forced their way into the occupied residence, yelling, "Where's the money?" One of the assailants grabbed a female resident by the throat and threw her against the wall, police said, while another threatened the residents by indicating he had a gun.

The men fled after grabbing a purse and cellphone.

The homeowners may have been targeted because their wealthy grandfather had recently died, police said.

Police responded to two other unrelated home invasions in Fairfield late last year, one in late September at a home on Park Avenue and another on Reef Road in early December.

In the Park Avenue incident, a group of gun-wielding men dressed entirely in black and wearing Halloween masks broke into a home on northern Park Avenue, injuring the elderly couple who lives there and taking jewelry and a small amount of cash, police said. Three men have been charged in that incident.

In the Reef Road invasion, two men broke into the house and bound and beat a 22-year-old Sacred Heart University student. Taken in the robbery were a laptop computer and other items. The suspects are still being sought by police.

Police said investigators believe that all three residences were specifically targeted by the suspects.