(skip this header)

Fairfield Citizen

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

fairfieldcitizenonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Leaking gas tank threat defused on High Street

Published 3:40 pm, Friday, March 7, 2014

nextprevious

  • Firefighters used a flare tower to burn off gas in a propane tank with a faulty shut-off valve. The tank was taken from a home under construction on High Street, and brought to the middle of Country Road for burn-off. Photo: Genevieve Reilly / Fairfield Citizen
    Firefighters used a flare tower to burn off gas in a propane tank with a faulty shut-off valve. The tank was taken from a home under construction on High Street, and brought to the middle of Country Road for burn-off. Photo: Genevieve Reilly

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

A faulty shut-off valve on a propane tank leaked gas in a High Street house under construction Friday morning, forcing a section of the road to be shut down during emergency operations to defuse the threat.

Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bisson said construction workers who mistakenly thought the propane tank was empty, disconnected the hose, which released dangerous levels of propane inside the house. The incident took place shortly after 11:30 a.m. Friday.

"A good amount had leaked inside the house," he said.

Construction workers were cleared from the house, while firefighters were able to slow the leak and remove the tank from the house. No other homes were evacuated, and students at the nearby Holland Hill School were not in danger, Bisson said..

The tank was carried to nearby Country Road, where it was hooked up to a flare tower and the remaining propane in the tank was burned off.\

"It took about 15 minutes to burn off," Bisson said.

Firefighters cleared the scene about 12:20 p.m.