(skip this header)

Fairfield Citizen

Friday, October 31, 2014

fairfieldcitizenonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Oven fire at Sunnyridge Apartments quickly doused

Published 9:29 am, Wednesday, August 13, 2014

nextprevious

  • Fire damaged this kitchen Tuesday in the Sunnyridge Apartments after flames erupted in the oven. Photo: Fairfield Fire Department / Fairfield Citizen
    Fire damaged this kitchen Tuesday in the Sunnyridge Apartments after flames erupted in the oven. Photo: Fairfield Fire Department

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

A quick response by firefighters to an oven fire Tuesday night at a Sunnyridge Avenue apartment prevented the blaze from spreading beyond the kitchen.

The incident was reported shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday by a resident of the Sunnyridge Apartments, who said the fire had erupted while she was pre-heating the oven to cook dinner.

When firefighters arrived on the scene a few minutes later, the woman had safely left the unit, where heavy smoke was billowing from the rear of the multi-unit structure.

The crew from Engine 2 ran a hose into the kitchen and doused the flames, which had spread to cabinets above the oven.

Meanwhile, other firefighters checked on the well-being of residents in neighboring apartments and to make sure that smoke and fire damage had not spread beyond the affected unit.

One neighbor was examined for possible smoke inhalation, but declined treatment, firefighters said.

A gas line supplying the stove was damaged and, according to the incident report, the leaking gas contributed to the fire. Firefighters shut off the gas supply at the meter and a repair crew from Southern Connecticut Gas was called to the scene.

Assistant Fire Chief George Gomola was the incident commander, with response to the scene by Engines 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, Ladders 1 and 2, Rescue 15, and Cars 3 and 5.

The last fire unit cleared the scene about 9 p.m.