(skip this header)

Fairfield Citizen

Thursday, April 17, 2014

fairfieldcitizenonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Propane-fueled garage fire doused on Shady Hill Road

Published 7:25 am, Wednesday, December 4, 2013


  • Flames engulf a garage at a Shady Hill Road home Tuesday night. Photo: Fairfield Fire Department / Fairfield Citizen contributed

    Flames engulf a garage at a Shady Hill Road home Tuesday night.

    Photo: Fairfield Fire Department


Larger | Smaller
Email This
Page 1 of 1

A large contingent of firefighters was dispatched to battle a fire at a Shady Hill Road home Tuesday night, where flames fueled by propane tanks in the garage had spread to the attic.

The fire was reported shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday, where the blaze -- reported by a neighbor to be "a major fire next door" -- had erupted in the home's attached garage. There was no vehicle in the garage, but the flames were being fed by several propane tanks that were venting flammable gas.

The garage was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene, according to the fire report, but all occupants of the dwelling had safely exited the structure.

Engines 1, 2, 3 and 5, Ladder trucks 1 and 2, and Car 3 were all deployed to the fire call.

One group of firefighters knocked down the main blaze in the garage, while another extended hoses to the home's attic where the fire had begun to spread. The roof was ventilated to prevent further spread of flames, firefighters said.

One firefighter was sent to Bridgeport Hospital for treatment of an ankle injury and later released.

Fire Chief Richard Felner, Fire Marshal Bill Kessler, town building officials Jim Gilleran and Tom Conley were called to the scene, along with a United Illuminating Co. representative to assess the fire response and the structure's safety after the blaze was extinguished.

Firefighters from Westport and Bridgeport provided mutual-aid coverage at Fire Stations 1 and 2 while Fairfield fire crews were at the Shady Hill house.

The last fire unit cleared the scene shortly after 10 p.m., but the cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Fire Marshal's office.

In a press release issued after the fire, Assistant Chief Chris Tracy, the incident commander, credited firefighters for quickly containing and extinguishing the fire, and added: "The most important thing that kept the fire from doing more damage, though, was quick thinking by the homeowner in getting everyone out of the house and calling 911 to report the fire. Their good decision to evacuate immediately made it possible for us to contain the fire where we found it."