Teen burned in house fire caused by smoking
Updated 5:25 pm, Monday, August 19, 2013
A 19-year-old School Street resident suffered burns to his face and hands when fire erupted at his family's home early Sunday.
The fire in single-family home, reported about 4:45 a.m. Sunday, was sparked by discarded smoking materials, according to the firefighters.
When fire crews arrived on the scene, smoke was coming from the second floor of the home, but the family of four and their dog were all outside.
The teen with burns was treated at the scene and transported by AMR to Bridgeport Hospital for further treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, firefighters said.
Fire crews, meanwhile, from Engine 2 and Ladder 2 entered the house and quickly extinguished the fire. Additional units were dispatched to the scene to provide backup coverage.
"The Fairfield Fire Department wants to remind everyone about the importance of installing and maintaining working smoke detectors on all levels of the home, especially in the sleeping areas," Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bisson said in a statement issued after the fire.
The last fire unit cleared the scene about an hour after the first report.