Teens face home burglary charges
Published 1:32 pm, Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Two teenagers were charged Tuesday with breaking into a house on Black Rock Turnpike and trying to break into another on Mill Plain Road.
Miguel Angel Rolon Martinez, 18, of Howard Avenue, Bridgeport, and a 16-year-old, also from Bridgeport whose identity was not released, were taken into custody after police stopped the black Chevy Tahoe they were driving around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday as they searched for suspects in the Mill Plain Road incident.
Police received a call from a witness just before 4 p.m. that two unfamiliar men were at a house on Mill Plain Road. One was knocking at the front door, while the other was walking around to the rear of the property. Deputy Police Chief Chris Lyddy said this was consistent with a recent pattern of burglaries, and officers began to look for the vehicle the two were seen driving.
The Tahoe was located around 4:30 p.m. near Knapps Highway, and when the pair was asked to step out of the vehicle, an officer noticed marijuana in the passenger's possession, police said. A search of the car not only turned up another small bag of marijuana, but also a red and black bag in the trunk that held laptops, cell phones and a camera, among other items, police said.
Martinez and the juvenile both denied ownership of the bag, according to the report.
Police were able to trace one of the laptops to an address on Black Rock Turnpike, and when they went there, discovered the home had been burglarized. The resident was not home, and was unaware of the burglary but confirmed that two of the laptops were his, police said.
Other items taken in the Black Rock Turnpike burglary include assorted U.S. and foreign coins, two watches, an iPhone, a flip phone, an external hard drive, a GPS unit, two debit cards and assorted business cards.
According to the report, the juvenile later confessed to the burglary.
Martinez faces two counts each of criminal attempt to commit third-degree burglary, two counts of conspiracy to commit third-degree burglary, and one count each of weapons in a motor vehicle, third-degree burglary, third-degree larceny and possession of burglary tools. He was released to St. Vincent's Medical Center for an evaluation and is scheduled to appear Sept. 11 in Bridgeport Superior Court.
The juvenile was issued a summons for third-degree burglary, third-degree larceny, possession of burglary tools and criminal attempt to commit third-degree burglary. He was released to his parents' custody.