Third man faces charges in Fairfield home invasion
Updated 6:03 pm, Wednesday, November 23, 2011
A third Bridgeport man has been charged with staging a September home invasion at the residence of an elderly Park Avenue couple.
The arrest of 35-year-old Pedro Cruz on Wednesday took place a day after Fairfield police charged two other Bridgeport men -- Japhet Flores, 34, and Jorge Gonzalez, 32 -- in connection with the incident.
Cruz, like the two others, was charged with home invasion, conspiracy to commit home invasion, first-degree robbery, conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery, third-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit third-degree larceny.
Gonzalez also was charged with assault on an elderly person, first-degree unlawful restraint and unlawful discharge of a firearm.
Each of the three men is being held on bond of $1 million.
Police said Wednesday that two other people, who may have provided assistance to the three suspects, may be charged in the future.
The three men are accused of being the masked trio who burst into the upper Park Avenue home in late September, restraining the elderly residents for about 15 minutes, and stealing jewelry and about $1,200 in cash before fleeing.
Following their arrest, police Lt. Michael Gagner said, "The residents of [the] Stratfield [area] can feel safe knowing that those responsible for this home invasion have been arrested and this was not a random act of violence."
The Fairfield husband and wife, both in their 80s, owned several properties in Bridgeport and the men apparently believed they could steal cash at the home, according to Gagner.
Police detectives tracked down the suspects using evidence such as abandoned vehicles, a tip from an anonymous caller who confirmed information police already had, and meetings with officials from other police departments where similar crimes have occurred from New Haven to Stamford.
The two men charged Tuesday had been in custody for some time, facing similar charges in connection with a West Haven incident.