FAIRFIELD — Fairfield Ludlowe’s forcing overtime Tuesday at Taft Field wasn’t a stunner, in St. Joseph boys lacrosse coach Brendan Talbot’s mind.

It was the sheer what-the-heck of the tying goal, Ludlowe goalie Carter Leibrock’s Hail Mary to set up a score with 28 seconds left, that gave Talbot just a little pause heading into the extra period. But his Cadets regrouped to win in double overtime, 11-10.

“It wasn’t so much the comeback. We knew it would take 48 minutes to beat them,” Talbot said. “The way it happened, the goalie heave: (It could have been) a shock to the system.”

Both Leibrock and St. Joseph goalie Kyle Burbank made a save in the first four-minute overtime period. Not quite three minutes into the second, senior midfielder Jared Mallozzi ran out from behind the net, beat Leibrock high and won it.

“It’s something special,” Mallozzi said, “a great victory like that, a late night, a school night, a crazy fourth quarter for them.”

After a back-and-forth start, St. Joseph (8-3, 7-3) built a 9-4 lead with 2:26 left in the third quarter on Matt Labash’s fourth goal.

The Falcons (8-4, 6-3) cut it to 9-6 by the end of the third, then 9-7. Harrison Yoguez scored for the Cadets off Mallozzi’s assist with 7:53 left, but Anders Kleinback scored a man-up goal with 3:37 left, and Aidan Wykoff cut it to one goal with 2:48 remaining.

Off a Falcons turnover in the last minute of regulation, the Cadets’ Bryan Viglione heaved the ball downfield. Leibrock (who’d made big saves to keep the Falcons in it) caught it, launched it back the other way, finding Wykoff at the right side of the net to tie it.

“We expect to make plays like that,” Ludlowe coach Chris Parisi said. “The kids don’t quit. They’re always in the game. That’s why I expected to win. A comeback like that, I expected to finish it off.”

The Falcons got the first shot, and they killed off a one-minute penalty late in the first overtime.

With just under two minutes left in the second overtime, Viglione picked up another ground ball. Talbot called time out to give the ball to Mallozzi coming out of it.

“(No.) 24 is our guy,” Talbot said. “That’s why we wanted him to have the ball.”

Mallozzi took it behind the net and cut to the front when he saw he had a short-stick against him, scoring his second overtime goal at a Fairfield team this season, Talbot said: He beat Warde on April 26.

“We wanted to come back from a season like last year, coming up short, not making the playoffs (6-10),” Mallozzi said. “All offseason we were working as hard as we could, the weight room, shooting, doing all we could.”


Jared Mallozzi scored the game-winner 2:52 into the second overtime.


The Cadets figured the win gets them into the FCIAC tournament going into a home game Thursday against New Canaan to wrap up their FCIAC slate. Ludlowe dropped back after beating Staples on Saturday.

“Saturday threw the FCIAC into a spin. This will throw the FCIAC back in a spin, who’s going to end up where,” Parisi said. “Credit to St. Joseph. They battled hard.”


“We have three goals every season: 10 wins, FCIAC playoffs and state playoffs. We’ve made the state playoffs. We think this puts us in the FCIAC playoffs. And we’ve got a chance for 10 wins.” —Talbot

mfornabaio@ctpost.com; @fornabaioctp


ST. JOSEPH2 3 4 1 0 1—11


Records: St. Joseph 8-3, 7-3 FCIAC; Fairfield Ludlowe 8-4, 6-3. Scoring: SJ—Matt Labash 4 goals, Harrison Yoguez 3g, Jared Mallozzi 2 goals, 1 assist, Preston Kral 1g, 1a, Jack Carpenter 1g; FL—Aiden Wykoff 4g, 1a, Anders Kleinback 3g, Oliver Lay 2g, 1a, Jeffrey Meyers 1g, 1a, Quinn Thompson 2a, Alex Berg 1a, Carter Leibrock 1a. Goalies: SJ—Kyle Burbank (5 saves); FL—Leibrock (12). Shots: SJ—35; FL—29.