A winter nor'easter brought heavy rain, strong wind and localized flooding to the region overnight, but it is moving on and leaving unsettled weather in its wake.

The next chance of significant snowfall is Saturday night into Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.

Snowfall amounted varied greatly across the region. Data from the National Weather Service shows that 4 inches fell in Danbury, 3.2 inches in Newtown, 3 inches in Weston, 2.9 inches in Shelton, 2.5 inches at Sikorsky Memorial Airport in Stratford and 2 inches in New Canaan. In New Haven County from 5.3 inches in Wolcott, 4 inches fell in Southbury and 2.5 inches in Milford.

Most of the snow from this storm is falling in northern New England where more than a foot and a half is likely.

While most of the major precipitation is ending, there is concern about coastal flooding. A coastal flood advisory remains in effect from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Coastal areas in southwestern Connecticut are most prone to flooding during high tide between 10 and 11 a.m. Tides could be between 2 and 3 ½ feet above normal.

Strong winds could push even more water on shore at high tide. Residents of low-lying sections of Milford received an alert notification to move their cars to higher ground on Wednesday night.

The strongest gust at Sikorsky Memorial Airport was clocked at 46 mph shortly after midnight.

There were reports of scattered power outages. There are 334 Connecticut Light & Power customers without electricity, mainly in upstate.

Although the morning commute was wet and sloppy, there were few traffic problems partly because schools are closed and many people are off for the Christmas/New Years break.

Scott Appleby, Bridgeport's director of emergency operations, said at the height of the storm Wednesday evening there were as many as eight minor car crashes that cops were responding to at the same time.

State Police also reported numerous minor crashes on Interstate 95. Farther north, Interstate 84 was closed in both directions for a time near the New York state line at about 8 p.m. Wednesday.

The forecast calls for snow showers Saturday afternoon and evening and a chance of flurries early Sunday.

The rest of Thursday will see light rain and temperatures barely topping 40, he said. It will feel colder because the wind will remain gusty through the afternoon. The low Thursday night could drop to 26 degrees, causing standing water to freeze.

Friday will be clear and cold, with a high reading of 35 degrees, dropping to 26 at night.

The storm, which was blamed for six deaths, pushed through the Upper Ohio Valley and made its way into the Northeast Wednesday night. Within hours, there was anywhere from a few inches of snow to a dozen in some locations.

National Weather Service spokesman David Roth said the Northeast's heaviest snowfall would be in northern Pennsylvania, upstate New York and inland sections of several New England states before the storm ended Friday morning and headed to Canada.

Hundreds of flights were canceled or delayed on Wednesday and scores of motorists got stuck on icy roads or slid into drifts. Said John Kwiatkowski, an Indianapolis-based meteorologist with the weather service: "The way I've been describing it is as a low-end blizzard, but that's sort of like saying a small Tyrannosaurus rex." More than 1,600 flights were canceled, according to the aviation tracking website FlightAware.com, and some airlines said they would waive change fees. By early Thursday only minor delays were reported.

Few truckers were stopping into a TravelCenters of America truck stop in Willington, Conn., near the Massachusetts border early Thursday. Usually 20 to 30 an hour stop in overnight, but high winds and slushy roads had cut that to two to three people an hour.

"A lot of people are staying off the road," said Louis Zalewa, 31, who works there selling gasoline and staffing the store. "I think people are being smart."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.