STAMFORD — A city man who helped a friend abduct an intoxicated woman and take her back to the man’s home where she was sexually assaulted pleaded guilty last week to second-degree sexual assault and conspiracy to commit sexual assault.

When he returns to court in July, Augusto Carreras, 58, who has been in jail since his arrest in December 2014, will be sentenced to time served and deported to his native Guatemala.

“My client pleaded guilty to two felony charges for his involvement,” criminal defense attorney Stephan Seeger said. “He has accepted responsibility and will be deported as a result of these pleas. Nonetheless, offers conveyed by the state were fair and reasonable and for this reason there is no need to recount the incident in open court before a jury. All things considered, it is the best possible outcome.”

Carreras was arrested with his friend Ruben Enio Sandoval, 39, on December 20 of that year after two women, Jessica Feighan and Kerilyn Whitehead pulled up to a stop light and saw the man help a stumbling woman cross a downtown street.

The two women pulled over and asked the men if they could help, but Sandoval and Carreras looked away and refused to answer.

Feeling that something was wrong, the women called police and followed the two men as they almost carried the nearly unconscious woman to a multifamily home on Dolsen Place, police said at the time.

When officers arrived, they could see Sandoval through a window sexually assaulting the woman, who was passed out on a mattress, police said.

The two were each charged with sexually assaulting someone who was physically helpless. Stamford State’s Attorney Richard Colangelo prosecuted the case.

Later, when receiving a citation from the Center for Sexual Assault Crisis Counseling and Education, Feighan said, “We really did feel like it was just something that needed to be done. We didn’t really think twice about helping this girl. She obviously needed someone’s help and we were there. I wish more people would do it.”

Sandoval was sentenced to four and one-half years in jail when he was convicted of the same charges in 2016.