Another program on radon dangers planned by Health Department
Published 11:53 am, Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Another radon awareness program will be hosted by the town's Health Department since an earlier session was planned the day of a snowstorm.
The new program will take place at 12:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 23, in the Fairfield Public Library, corner of Old Post and Post roads.
Radon, according to the federal Environment Protection Agency, is an "odorless, tasteless, invisible gas that is produced by the decay of naturally occurring uranium in soil and water." The gas can be found in the air, as well as accumulating in buildings and houses.
Exposure to radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer after smoking, according to information from health officials. The EPA estimates that every year, about 21,000 lung cancer deaths in the United States can be attributed to radon.
The program will provide general information about radon, how to test a home and, if radon is detected, how to remedy that.
Free radon home test kits will be provided to the first 30 families who attend, health officials said. There will be a demonstration on how to use the kits.
Advance registration is not required.
For more information, contact Santina Galbo, health educator, at 203-256-3150 or firstname.lastname@example.org.