FAIRFIELD — The sands were jammed at Penfield Beach under sunny skies Saturday afternoon at the end-of-year Clam Jam party staged by Fairfield University, a once-raucous affair that unfolded for a second year with few problems.

Like last year, the event was largely problem-free, with the university itself controlling the party under tightly enforced rules at the town-owned beach. According to police, one person was taken into custody for disorderly conduct and a handful of infractions were issued to to people for drinking from open containers outside the designated area. About four partygoers had to hospitalized for intoxication, police said.

“Things went very well,” said Tom Pellegrino, Fairfield University’s vice president of student affairs. He estimated there were about 1,200 to 1,300 students and their guests at Penfield Beach over the course of the event. Pellegrino said the changes made from last year — adding more portable toilers, downsizing the beachside footprint and having only one entrance and exit — appeared to work well.

The one person taken into custody — whose identity was not immediately available — was not a Fairfield University student, but attended as a student’s guest. According to police, he began to climb on the DJ’s stage and refused requests by university staff to get down.

The party’s beer kegs were shut off at 4 p.m., and a steady stream of students began to exit the party. Buses were available to take students back to campus, although some students used Uber cabs and others simply walked back to their rental homes in the beach neighborhood.

The orderly reports were in sharp contrast to Clam Jams years preceding the new format adopted last year.

After years of neighborhood complaints about the often-raucous event, which provoked numerous arrests for drunken and disorderly conduct and a court injunction to curb the event at the party’s former Lantern Point location, last year university officials, students and the town reached an agreement under which the school now hosts the party. Admission to the beach during the party was limited by previously issued tickets and closely monitored.