A fire at an Old Stratfield Road home on Tuesday night was caused by a discarded cigarette, Assistant Fire Chief Stephen Curry said.

The fire ignited about 6:30 p.m. in a planter on the railing of a deck at the rear of 673 Old Stratfield Road, Curry said. It burned up the side of the house in a V-shaped pattern.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, a neighbor was trying to extinguish the flames with buckets of water. Firefighters from Engine 2 attacked the fire with a hose line, while a crew from Ladder 2 entered the house and opened up a first-floor wall to check whether the flames had spread. Firefighters found the fire had extended into the wall bay and a portable extinguisher was used to douse the flames. The fire also burned a small portion of the deck, some of the home's siding and shrubbery.

A woman told firefighters she was at the house cleaning for her brother, who is away on vacation, and that she had been smoking, Curry said. She told firefighters she placed a discarded cigarette into a planter that contained a moss-type material. She later saw smoke coming from the back deck area, went out to investigate and saw the fire. She then called the Fire Department.

Curry said the fire, which caused about $6,000 in damage, was classified as accidental.

There were no injuries.

Car 3, Engines 1 and 4 and Ladder 1 were dispatched to the scene, along with an AMR ambulance.