A Bridgeport man, convicted in 2009 of trying to rape a 16-year-old Fairfield girl as she walked home from school, has been arrested again after police said he showed up for a lie-detector test smelling of marijuana.

Before the examiner could snap on the probes, Eric Julian confessed he had smoked marijuana an hour before arriving for the polygraph test, police said.

Charged with violating probation, the 30-year-old Julian, of Kossuth Street in Bridgeport, pleaded not guilty Tuesday at Superior Court in Bridgeport, and chose a jury trial.

Julian was out of prison only two months after serving a five-year-term in a case in which he was accused of kidnapping and raping two women, when police said he attacked the Fairfield girl.

In May 2009, he pleaded guilty to first-degree unlawful restraint and violation of probation, and was sentenced to five years in prison, suspended after he served 18 months, followed by four years of probation.

The Fairfield girl was walking home from Fairfield Ludlowe High School on Nov. 14, 2008, when she was confronted by Julian, who put a hand over her mouth to prevent her from screaming, police said. Julian then dragged the girl into a rear yard and threatened her, saying he had a knife, reports said.

Police said Julian pushed the girl to the ground and began to remove her pants. When she resisted, police said, Julian began choking her.

After the girl managed to cry for help, police said Julian ran off. The girl then called her mother.

Officers searched the area, but did not find the suspect, although witnesses recalled seeing a man run through the area.

A few days later, however, police said they received a phone call from a woman who claimed she had been the victim of a sexual assault by Julian in 2002 and was concerned he could be the man who police were looking for. Police said they later showed photos to the 16-year-old, and she picked out Julian's photo as the man who had attacked her.

As a condition of his probation, Julian was ordered to abstain from drugs and to undergo sex-offender treatment, including periodic polygraph examinations.

On Jan. 11, 2011, he tested positive for marijuana and on Nov. 30, 2012, he missed an appointment for a polygraph test.

On March 7, he showed up for the polygraph exam smelling of marijuana, police said. He told the examiner he had slept only four hours the night before and had smoked marijuana an hour before arriving for the exam, police said.