Cops: Home invasion suspect used fake gun to threaten 82-year-old
Published 11:59 am, Thursday, January 8, 2015
A Bridgeport man is charged with breaking into a Warwick Avenue home, surprising the homeowner and displaying what turned out to be a fake gun.
No one was injured in the Wednesday afternoon incident.
Pedro A. Bruno, 32, of Pembroke Street in Bridgeport, broke a basement window to gain entry to the Warwick Avenue home just before 4 p.m. Wednesday, police said. He then went to a second-floor bedroom, taking jewelry, a wallet, cash and keys.
He encountered the 82-year-old homeowner when he went back down to the first floor, according to the report.
At that point, Bruno pointed what appeared to be a handgun at the man and yelled, "Don't move!" before running from the house, police said. The homeowner then yelled to his 52-year-old daughter, who had barricaded herself in a second-floor room, to call 911.
Officers spotted a man, matching the suspect's description and later identified as Bruno, walking on Benedict Street. The possessions taken from the house were found on the front lawn of a Benedict Avenue home, along with a black, metal handgun-style lighter and one black glove.
When Bruno was searched, police said they found the matching glove, along with the keys to a car. Police hit a button on the key fob, and the lights on a Honda Element parked on Warwick Avenue came on. The car had been reported stolen Dec. 25 in Stratford.
Bruno was charged with home invasion, first-degree robbery, second-degree burglary, second-degree burglary with a firearm, second-degree threatening, third-degree larceny and sixth-degree larceny.
He was held on a $250,000 bond and was scheduled to be arraigned the next day at state Superior Court in Bridgeport.