The Fairfield Ludlowe boys soccer team opened its season the same way it did the 2009 campaign, with a 1-1 tie at Taft Field.

This season, just the opponent was different. The Falcons came back late to salvage a tie against Trumbull, a team that went 11-3-1 in the 2009 regular season.

"I'm very happy with the result," Ludlowe head coach Kevin O'Hara said. "It's good for us to come back after being down 1-0 to Trumbull and get a tie."

Ludlowe have very few chances against a rock-solid Trumbull defense, which allowed the Falcons just three shots on goal.

Meanwhile, Trumbull was able to fire 27 shots toward Ludlowe goaltender Luke Clifford, who came up with eight saves.

After a scoreless first half of play, Keith Bond put a crossing shot past Clifford at the 52:00 mark to put Trumbull on the board.

Ludlowe answered back at 71:00 when junior newcomer Mahmoud Kafel beat Trumbull goaltender Dominick Baker.

O'Hara said one reason Ludlowe was able to hang in against Trumbull was the work of Tyler Schwartz. The senior forward was asked to drop back and play stopper for the Falcons and did a great job containing the Eagles, O'Hara said.

"They have a very good team, they are big, strong, fast and skilled," O'Hara said. "For our boys to fight with them all game and get a goal late to tie it up makes it a good day."

Trumbull head coach Sebastian Gangemi felt his team played well for an opening day contest, but also felt his team should have left Fairfield with the win. Trumbull did outshoot the Falcons at a 9-1 pace, but was unable to capitalize.

Gangemi said he felt Trumbull controlled the pace for most of the game. But one mental lapse was the difference between a Trumbull win and a tie game.

"We made a couple of mental mistakes in the back, and they were able to catch us," Gangemi said. "We should have been up more than one goal, but we couldn't score. They had one chance and they put it away."

Clifford said he felt he and his Falcons teammates may have played the first half with a few opening-day jitters, and that kept them from being effective in the early going.

"They were really dominating us, we weren't moving off the ball and making runs," Clifford said. "And that was our biggest problem."

But once the Falcons settled down and started playing their game, Clifford said the Falcons came together as a team.

"In the second half we picked it up," Clifford said. "We moved as a unit as opposed to one-on-one, and that helped us move up the field more."