On a day when it seemed every call and play went against the Fairfield Ludlowe girls soccer team, it found a way to persevere.

The Falcons' lost another member of their front line, and Ludlowe head coach Tony Samuelian was issued a yellow card in the game, but the Falcons managed to hold off winless Stamford, 2-1 on Wednesday at Stamford High School.

"We'll take it," Samuelian said. "We had to work, which I like about it."

Krissy Bradley and Emily Matis tallied goals for the Falcons as they won for the second consecutive game. Ludlowe peppered the Black Knights' goal with 30 shots, 10 of which were stopped by Stamford goalkeeper Angela Altamura.

More Information

Fact box

The Falcons also were their own enemy in the first 20 minutes of the game, blasting numerous shots wide, hitting two posts, and even playing defense in their offensive end. A sure goal hit a Ludlowe player's foot and bounced back onto the field of play.

"The past three games we've had trouble actually getting the ball in the net," Falcons defender Libby McNamara said. "We've gotten a lot of shots, but we're having trouble getting it in."

"We've got to find a way to finish," Samuelian said.

The Falcons finally got on the board in the 30th minute when Bradley took a pass from Gabby Rudolph, maneuvered around a Stamford defender, crossing the ball to her left foot and lobbing a shot passed Altamura to give Ludlowe a 1-0 lead.

"Gabby played me the ball and I just wanted to score," Bradley said. "I saw a player there and took her on, it was exciting and I was excited to see us get the goal...because we had so many shots."

No more than six minutes later, Bradley was out of the game after being hit by a Black Knights' midfielder, and was forced to leave the game because of a bloody nose and lip. Ludlowe already was without senior captain Megan Langlais, who is battling a series of injuries.

"It's hard getting everyone on the same page with the injuries," McNamara said. "I think we're good though."

Despite a black and blue mark on the bridge of her nose, Bradley declared herself fine after the game.

"Just a bruise," she said. "No concussion or anything."

Samuelian received his yellow card two minutes into the second half after Lindsay Zilling was apparently shoved by a Stamford defender, sending her crashing into the fence behind the goal. The official did not rule a foul, and Samuelian was hit with his first card of the year for arguing.

"I love Stamford, but I love to see it in the rear view mirror," Samuelian said. "I felt I had to say something, I didn't care what happened, if I got thrown out, I got thrown out."

Ludlowe responded with a goal just two minutes later, when Matis lifted a shot over Altamura to put the Falcons ahead 2-0.

However, the Black Knights got on the board with their first goal of the season in the 54th minute when Samantha Lyman found Bailey Bititto, who blasted a shot by Katherine Mahder, cutting Ludlowe's advantage to 2-1.

"There was a mix-up in our man-to-man defense," Samuelian said. "Two people came to the ball instead of one, and that left a girl open."

Mahder stopped three shots in the final 25 minutes to preserve the victory. Ludlowe's starting goalkeeper Bridget Clark made three saves, as well.

The Falcons have to play again on Saturday when they host Greenwich at Taft Field at 2 p.m.