Fairfield will not be charged for fireworks show this year, will get ‘double finale’ next year
Updated 11:55 am, Friday, July 8, 2016
FAIRFIELD — The Independence Day fireworks came to an end without the usual crescendo Saturday night. Fire Marshal William Kessler said a malfunction prevented the show’s finale from firing.
Parks and Recreation Director Gerry Lombardo said the primary system to shoot the fireworks failed at the beginning of the show. Though the backup system worked, the finale fireworks were damaged, ending the show early. Heavy rain the night before the show got those fireworks wet, though they are normally loaded and protected on the barge in advance, Lombardo said.
The company hired to put on the show, Fireworks by Grucci, contacted Lombardo to tell him they will not be charging the town for the fireworks this year and next year’s show will have a “double finale.”
“I appreciate them stepping up in a way and meeting our needs because we know what type of show they usually give us,” Lombardo said. “Last year was a superb show.”
Some viewers noticed the show’s end did not go off correctly.
“They were just very disappointing after going there for 23 years,” Fairfield resident Gerry Alessi said. “It was just very anticlimactic.”
Grucci representatives have yet to respond to a request for comment.