Fairfield police: New Haven man stole $3,100 of cigarettes

Fairfield police car.

Fairfield police car.

File photo / File photo

FAIRFIELD — A New Haven man was arrested last week after police say he stole cigarettes from two Fairfield businesses.

Fairfield police Lt. Antonio Granata said Clinton Edwards, 50, was arrested and charged with third-degree larceny and sixth-degree larceny on Dec. 18.

Granata said officers responded to a shoplifting complaint at the Walgreens located on Kings Highway East on June 22. He said an investigation found Clinton committed the alleged crime when he went into the business and asked to fill out a job application.

“Edwards then spent nearly an hour filling out the application, asking employees questions and walking around the store,” Granata said. “When Edwards had the opportunity, he went behind the counter, grabbed a box that contained cartons of cigarettes valued at $2,700, which was on the ground waiting to be stocked, and ran out of the store.”

Three days later, Granata said, Edwards allegedly stole from another business — this time from a Citgo gas station on the Post Road

“The investigation revealed Edwards came into the store and asked for four cartons of cigarettes,” he said. “When the employee placed the cartons on the counter, Edwards asked for another item, causing the employee turned their back. Edwards then grabbed the cartons of cigarettes valued at $474 and ran out of the store.”

Granata said surveillance footage of Edwards was provided to the police in both cases.

“The surveillance footage shows Edwards wearing the same clothing during both thefts,” he said. “Both showed Edwards fleeing the scene in a small sedan with unique damage to the passenger side. The surveillance images and details of the thefts were shared with other law enforcement agencies who assisted in the investigation.”

Granata said Fairfield detectives worked with several law enforcement agencies in Fairfield and New Haven counties that were able to identify Edwards, his method of operation and the vehicle he was known to operate. He said a superior court arrest warrant was issued for his arrest.

According to court documents, Edwards was released from custody after signing a promise to appear in the Bridgeport Superior Court. His arraignment is scheduled for Dec. 29.