Firefighters battle snow to quickly douse Toilsome Hill chimney fire
Updated 2:12 pm, Sunday, March 29, 2015
Firefighters battled wind-driven snow and frigid temperatures to extinguish a chimney fire at a Toilsome Hill Road home late Saturday, dousing the blaze before it caused extensive damage.
Smoke and flames were coming from the chimney when the first fire unit arrived on the scene about 9:30 p.m. Saturday, according to the report.
As falling snow made emergency operations more hazardous, firefighters deployed an aerial ladder truck to gain access to the roof of the two-story house and put out the fire within about 15 minutes according to the fire report. Fire crews also used thermal-imaging cameras to ensure the fire had not spread beyond the chimney.
No injuries were reported.
Salvage covers were placed around the hearth to protect the home's wood floors and interior furnishings from water damage.
"Careful coordination of interior and exterior firefighting operations resulted in the safe extinguishment of the fire in the chimney and prevented any damage to the interior of the home," Assistant Fire Chief George Gomola said in a release after the fire.
Engines 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, and Ladder trucks 1 and 2 and command car 3 were dispatched to the scene. The last unit cleared Toilsome Hill about 10:30 p.m., firefighters said.