A former Norwalk police officer was arrested early Sunday morning after police said he fought his girlfriend and threw a TV off the back deck of her Riverside Drive house into the marshes.

Kenneth Michael King, 53, of Tauton Lake Road, Newtown, was charged with disorderly conduct.

Police were dispatched to a Riverside Drive woman's home just before 4 a.m. Sunday, after receiving a call from a third party about a fight. The woman had bruises on her arms, according to the report, and officers found furniture knocked over and broken, shattered glass, and the cable box and electronics scattered across the floor.

The woman said she had been out with King earlier, but he had left and she got another ride home. When she got home, she told police, he entered the house through the rear sliding glass doors off of the deck. They argued, according to the report, and the dispute turned physical. King then threw her flat-screen TV off the deck and into the marsh, the woman told police.

King left before police arrived, and Fairfield contacted Newtown police, who tried to get in touch with him. It was after that, police said, that King called Fairfield, asking that they make a welfare check on his girlfriend because he said "she falls down a lot."

Police asked King to come to headquarters, and when he complied, he denied knocking over furniture and said his girlfriend had thrown the television off the deck. According to the report, however, because of where the TV had landed in the marsh, and its weight, police did not believe that the woman had tossed it.

He said when he left, nothing in the girlfriend's house was damaged, according to the report.

King owns several handguns, police said. Two were being held by a friend and third, a .38, was voluntarily turned over to Fairfield police. King has eight registered firearms and a pistol permit, police said.

He retired from the Norwalk Police Department in 2008 after he admitted downloading pornography onto his department computer and that of a lieutenant when they worked together in the Youth Bureau.

His bond was set at $500 and he was scheduled to have appeared Monday Bridgeport Superior Court.