Former fugitive denied release requested because of pandemic
BRIDGEPORT — A man on the run for nearly eight years after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl was denied release on Monday because of the pandemic.
Cesar Oliva has tested positive for COVID-19 and his continued confinement will be a detriment to his health, argued Oliva’s lawyer, Wayne Keeney.
But Supervisory Assistant State’s Attorney Maureen Ornousky retorted that after admitting that he sexually assaulted the young girl in 2012, Oliva took on the identity of a dead man — a deceased Guatemalan immigrant.
“He fled the jurisdiction to avoid being sentenced,” she told Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander.
The judge denied the motion for release.
Oliva was arrested late last month after a Stamford police officer recognized him while Oliva was working as a cashier at a Stamford store.
Oliva, 30, was charged with failure to appear at court along with first-degree forgery, identity theft and criminal impersonation. He was held in lieu of a $275,000 bond.
According to court records, Oliva, then 23, was arrested on August 9, 2012, and was charged with second-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a child.
Police at the time of his arrest in 2012 said he allegedly sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl whose father complained to police that Oliva — who then lived on Lockwood Avenue — was having sex with his daughter.