Man, claiming he was set up, pleads guilty to Fairfield home invasion
A young woman who worked for an elderly Fairfield couple had convinced Cruz and two friends, Jorge Gonzalez and Japhet Flores, to rob the couple who she said had lots of cash and jewelry in their Park Avenue home.
But when Cruz and his companions broke into the home last Sept. 20, they found the cupboard was bare, he said.
"She had already taken the cash and jewelry, and set us up for the crime," he complained about the woman.
Despite his contention, Cruz, 35, still agreed to plead guilty before Judge Robert Devlin to home invasion, conspiracy to commit home invasion and first-degree robbery for the crime.
"I just thank God the couple weren't injured," Cruz told the judge.
Senior Assistant State's Attorney Joseph Corradino declined comment on Cruz's allegations. Other than Cruz, Gonzalez and Flores, no one else has been charged in the case.
Cruz, of Quince Street, Bridgeport, faces up to 15 years in prison when he is sentenced Aug. 24. Gonzalez is awaiting sentencing after previously pleading guilty to the same charges and Flores is awaiting trial.
The three men are also awaiting trial at Superior Court in Milford in connection with the robbery of a West Haven gas station.
According to Corradino, at about 11 p.m. Sept. 20, the Fairfield couple who are both in their 80s were awakened by the sound of their doorbell ringing several times. The 85-year-old husband was making his way to the front door when Cruz and his two companions broke in the front door. While one of the men held a gun to the husband's head, Corradino said the other two men ransacked the home.
Several days later Fairfield police said they received an anonymous phone call telling police that Cruz, Gonzalez and Flores were responsible for the crime.