A 29-year-old Kings Highway East man faces a series of charges after police said he led them on a chase, fought with officers after crashing his pickup truck and had to be subdued with a stun gun before being taken in custody Wednesday night.

The chase began around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when an officer spotted George Zachos Jr. driving down Black Rock Turnpike at a high rate of speed, police said. The officer attempted to stop Zachos, activating his cruiser's lights and sirens, but Zachos allegedly accelerated, making several turns -- even attempting a U-turn -- as he tried to elude officers, according to the report.

Zachos continued fleeing into Bridgeport, where he drove down Fairfield Avenue in the wrong direction, police said. He struck a car at Fairfield Avenue and Sherwood Street in Bridgeport and then drove up onto private property, hitting some bushes, police said.

The pickup twas disabled at that point, but officers said Zachos continued to try accelerating the engine, generating smoke as he spun the wheels in reverse.

Because there were pedestrians in the area, officers used their cruisers to block Zachos. After being told several times to get out of the vehicle, Zachos climbed out of the driver-side window and started to fight with officers, pushing them, grabbing their arms and uniforms, and attempting to grab one officer by the neck, according to the report. At that point, police said, he was subdued by a charge from a stun gun and taken into custody.

Police Sgt. Suzanne Lussier said during the pursuit, maximum speed was 58 mph. She added that had Zachos stopped when first signaled by the officer, he likely would have been issued only a speeding ticket.

In a subsequent search, police said they found some marijuana in his pocket. He was taken to Bridgeport Hospital to be evaluated.

Charges pending against Zachos include assault on a police officer, interfering with an officer, reckless endangerment, reckless driving, engaging in pursuit and possession of less than a half-ounce of marijuana.

Bond was set at $100,000 and he is scheduled to appear Aug. 19 in Bridgeport Superior Court.