Leaders of the Fairfield Representative Town Meeting's subcommittee that oversees tax-relief programs for the town's senior citizens and disabled adults have issued a reminder about filing dates to take advantage of the benefits.

They also plan a forum later this month to answer questions about the tax-relief program. The session will take place at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 19, at the Fairfield Senior Center, 100 Mona Terrace.

Fairfield seniors and individuals recognized as disabled by the state should be aware of the filing deadline for tax-relief benefits, according to the statement from Tom McCarthy, chairman, and Marc Patten, vice chairman, of the RTM's Senior and Disabled Homeowners Tax Relief Subcommittee.

Tuesday, May 15, is the final day that applications can be filed for the town's 2012 Property Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled Homeowner Program. For details on the programs and eligibility, visit http://www.fairfieldct.org/taxrelief.htm

Under state law, those applying must have been 65 years old by Dec. 31, or permanently or totally disabled. To apply, contact the town Assessor's office (203-256-3110) and, when filing an application, bring 2011 Social Security forms and 2011 federal income tax returns (or if not filing a federal tax return, bring any 1099 tax forms from 2011).

There are three options for property tax relief in Fairfield, according to the RTM officials:

Option 1: The credit program: Those with an income up to $60,900 may qualify for a flat credit off their tax bill, depending on the level of their income.

Option 2: The freeze program: Those with income up to $49,600 may qualify, allowing a property owner to freeze taxes at the level of last year's gross tax for a period of five years (after which the owner may qualify for one of the town's two other tax-relief programs).

Option 3: The deferral program: Those who have income up to $77,800 may qualify, allowing a property owner to freeze taxes at the level of last year's gross tax (as in the freeze program), and any increases each year would be put into a lien against the property. That lien amounting to the accrued tax increases would have to be paid back when the property is sold. Unlike the freeze program, however, there is no limit on how many years this can be done.