Next wave of beach repairs: Bathrooms for summer season
Updated 9:23 am, Friday, May 10, 2013
There still may be no bathrooms at the Fairfield Metro Railroad Station, but despite suffering significant storm damage last year there will be bathrooms at all of the town's beaches this season.
With Penfield Pavilion shut down from its battering by Superstorm Sandy, temporary restrooms will be brought in for beachgoers to use, town officials said.
Public Works Superintendent Scott Bartlett said two temporary trailers with bathrooms will be available at Penfield Beach, one on either side of the pavilion. "They will accommodate men and women, but they are not ADA compliant," Bartlett said, "so we will also have portable ADA toilets next to each trailer."
Officials expect to have the trailers in place by Memorial Day weekend, Public Works Director Joseph Michelangelo said. The trailers will be connected to sewer and water lines. The bathroom at Sasco Beach made it through Sandy unscathed, but Bartlett said repairs are needed to restrooms at Southport Beach, which should be done soon.
As for dining at any of those three beaches, the town is looking into ways to provide some sort of concession stand, Recreation Director Gerald Lombardo said.
At Penfield, the town also may arrange either a temporary concession stand or a food truck to provide refreshments. "I'm still working on it," Lombardo said, while at Sasco and Southport, the idea is to use food trucks. Food trucks at the two smaller beaches are expected to become a permanent feature -- "We're getting rid of the buildings," Lombardo said of the old concession building that were severely damaged last year.
The concession stands at both Sasco and Southport got pushed off their foundations during Sandy. At Southport, the concession stand ended up on the other side of Pequot Avenue.
The concessionaires at all three beaches will be offered the opportunity to provide food service this summer, he said.
email@example.com; 203-556-2771; http://twitter.com/GreillyPost