Officials: Fairfield schools safe, but precautions taken in wake of Newtown massacre
As news of the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School that claimed 27 lives spread Friday, Fairfield officials got word out via social media to reassure residents of steps being taken here to ensure the safety of local school children.
Superintendent of Schools David Title said he had been in contact with Police Chief Gary MacNamara throughout the day and assured parents the schools in town were safe and no further security action was required.
However, additional patrols were assigned to all schools during dismissal times Friday afternoon as an added safety precaution.
They said their thoughts and prayers are with the families in Newtown.
"I wish to express my deep sadness for the tragedy that occurred in Newtown today," said First Selectman Michael Tetreau. "My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones ... Let us count our blessings this holiday season and continue to perform good acts for one another."