Police Log

A South Pine Creek Road residence was reportedly broken into and a plastic jug holding $2,500 worth of quarters, dimes and nickels allegedly stolen Monday between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m.

Police said the perpetrator gained entry through a ground-level basement window and exited with the jug through a door.

Police are investigating.


A woman heading eastbound on Villa Avenue veered off-road and struck a pole Monday evening. The pole snapped and fell on top of her vehicle, police said, sending a transformer crashing to the ground and spilling oil into the street.

Police believe that Anna Okonkwo, 46, of Bridgeport, was forced off the road by an unknown vehicle heading westbound that crossed into her lane to pass another car. The incident occurred around 9 p.m.

Okonkwo complained of chest and head pains and was taken to St. Vincents Medical Center, police said.

Moran Environmental Recovery was called in to clean up the oil.

Police said there were no witnesses to the accident and there were no charges.


A Fairfield Warde High School teacher reported her wallet stolen from inside her classroom Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.

The wallet, a brown Coach brand, held her driver's license, credit cards and $6 in cash, police said.

The teacher told police that the wallet was either on or beside her desk when it went missing. The reported theft occurred between 1:45 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., police said.

According to cops, one of the credit cards made a $66.36 purchase at a Super Stop and Shop around 4:30 p.m.


Police are investigating how three social service checks, totaling about $1,500, landed in the bank account of a staff worker for a CLASP group home.

The checks belonged to three people living at the group home, located at 94 Reynolds Drive, police said.

According to authorities, the manager of the home was contacted by the security and fraud division at People's Bank and informed that the employee's bank account had been frozen. The manager then reported the incident to police headquarters Monday at 12:00 a.m.

The 26-year-old suspect began working for the group home in July 2009, police said.

"He was apparently stealing checks from those he's been charged to take care of and putting them into his own account," said police spokesman Sgt. James Perez.