Grave marker stolen

A Florida woman visiting her father's grave at Workmen's Circle Cemetery on Reid Street called police around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday after discovering his Korean War bronze foot stone, with gold lettering, was missing.

The grave marker was valued at $500, police said.

The daughter, a Miami resident, visits her father's grave once a year.

Woman victimized by `grandma' scammer

A Rowland Road senior citizen fell victim Tuesday to a classic scam -- often called the "grandma scam" -- that Fairfield police have previously issued warnings about.

The woman received a phone call from someone claiming to be a Canadian law-enforcement official, who told the woman that her grandson had been arrested for driving under the influence in Canada. If she could not forward bail money, the caller told the local woman her grandson would be held in jail.

About two hours later, the grandmother wired $2,137 through Western Union from the Super Stop & Shop on King's Highway Cutoff.

The woman did not try to call her grandson to verify that he was in Canada before she wired the money, police said. When the woman did contact her grandson several hours later and learned he was not in custody or in Canada, it was too late to halt the money transfer.

Police later learned the money was actually sent to a location in the United Kingdom.

Cops: Groceries stolen

in self-scanning scam

Alon Sapir, 28, of 562 Black Rock Turnpike, was charged with sixth-degree larceny about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday after he allegedly tired to steal $110 worth of groceries from Super Stop & Shop, 760 Villa Ave.

Sapir scanned 10 items at the store self-service checkout and paid for them, police said, but failed to do the same for 37 other items.

Sapir later allegedly told police what he did was an "act of stupidity."

Released on a promise to appear in court, he is scheduled for a July 26 appearance in Bridgeport Superior Court.

Fairfield man charged with store theft

A 41-year-old man was charged with threatening a security officer after trying to leave Kohl's department store Wednesday with $680 in unpaid merchandise.

Javier Saez, of nearby Greenfield Street, was spotted by a security guard taking a red carry-all bag from the luggage department and stuffing it full of tee shirts, police said. Stopped outside the store, Saez dropped the bag and started walking away, allegedly saying, "Get away, I've got a needle."

He ran toward a wooded area off Greenfield Street and pulled out a hypodermic needle, before going into the woods, police said. A K-9 unit from State Police located Saez hiding in the woods and he was taken into custody.

He was charged with fifth-degree larceny and two counts of threatening. He is scheduled to appear July 27 in Bridgeport Superior Court.

Computer dumped

in driveway

An old computer monitor was tossed at the end of a Lola Street driveway around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Police said a large white SUV was seen fleeing the scene, but no other information about the illegal dumping was available.

Mailbox vandalized

An officer on patrol noticed around 6 a.m. Wednesday noticed that a mailbox on Barlow Road had been knocked off its post. Damage was estimated at $75.

`Pineapple' swiped

A concrete pineapple, about one-and-a-half feet tall, was reported stolen about 7:30 p.m. Sunday from a stone wall at 130 Willow St. It was valued at $400.

Bridgeport man charged with theft from car

Kareem Jeter, 36, of Bridgeport, was charged with third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday after reportedly stealing a jar of change from the trunk of a car parked at 555 Kings Highway East.

A witness saw Jeter, called police and provided a description, and Jeter was subsequently stopped and placed under arrest on Commerce Drive. Released on a promise to appear in court, Jeter is scheduled to make a July 19 appearance in Bridgeport Superior Court.

Two arrested on

grocery theft charges

Ioana Ancuta, 22, of 14 Greenlawn Drive, and Robert Boback, 24, of 312 Edward St., were each charged with sixth-

degree larceny just after 6 p.m. Sunday.

Police said the two walked out of Super Stop & Stop on Villa Avenue without paying for $132 worth of items. However, they were stopped just after they left the store and came up empty-ended when they were asked to provide a receipt.

Ancuta and Boback are scheduled to appear July 19 in Bridgeport Superior Court.

Electronics stolen

from vehicle

A $1,500 HP laptop computer, a $100 Garmin GPS unit and a cell phone were reported stolen from a vehicle around 10:55 p.m. Friday.

The unlocked 2006 Audi A4 was parked at the base of a driveway on Edgewood Road, according to police.

The theft occurred sometime within two hours of the time of the report.