Smoky house fire on Adelaide Street quickly doused
Updated 5:32 pm, Thursday, October 2, 2014
A house fire that erupted Thursday afternoon in an Adelaide Street home, spreading rapidly from the first floor to the attic, was quickly brought under control by firefighters.
The blaze started on the first floor of the Cape at 52 Adelaide St. about 4:15 p.m. Thursday, and quickly spread to the second floor and attic.
Heavy smoke and flames were seen billowing from the upper levels, according to initial report.
Al Donahue, who lives in the house with his family, said he was tending to an ill 15-month-old child when another child rushed in to tell him there was a fire in the bathroom.
In the bathroom, Donahue said he found a fire that apparently had started in a light fixture or the ceiling fan, and had started to spread. Despite his efforts to douse the flames with a fire extinguisher, the blaze continued to spread, Donahue said.
He and the family, however, left the house without injuries.
Numerous Fairfield fire units were dispatched to the scene, backed up by crews from Bridgeport and Westport providing coverage elsewhere in town.
The source of the fire's ignition was not immediately known.