Man who threatened to kill Fairfield students released on bond
BRIDGEPORT — A Fairfield man accused of threatening on social media to kill Fairfield Ludlowe High School students posted bond Wednesday afternoon.
Nicholas Graham, 23, left the Golden Hill Street courthouse with family members after Superior Court Judge William Holden agreed to reduce the bond from $20,000 to $10,000.
“There were no weapons involved in this situation whatsoever,” Graham’s lawyer, Eugene Riccio, said.
FLHS is aware that an individual was causing concern among our students because of some social media posts. The individual is in police custody and there is NOT a perceived threat to FLHS or any FPS school. @FPDCT will be an increased presence as reassurance.— Fairfield Ludlowe HS (@FLHSFalcons) February 28, 2018
Police said Graham, a student at Southern Connecticut State University who had previously graduated from Fairfield Ludlowe High School, posted on Snapchat that he was going to kill students at the high school and all their friends. The post led several parents to call 911 on Tuesday night.
Graham, the son of a physician, was arrested on the New Haven school campus and charged with second-degree threatening, second-degree breach of peace and second-degree harassment.
During the arraignment hearing, Riccio told the judge that Graham has no prior criminal record and has been receiving medical attention. He did not elaborate.
After agreeing to reduce the bond, Holden ordered Graham to stay away from the high school.
Police said Graham told them he had no intention of harming anyone and that his posts were motivated by emotion. He was taken to St. Vincent’s Medical Center for evaluation.
Police said there was no connection to an incident earlier in the day at Westport’s Staples High School.
According to a release from Fairfield Police Lt. Robert Kalamaras, “While the sensitivity of these matters are serious, we are glad that the public is coming forward and reporting what they see as potential risks to our schools and our students.”
Superintendent of Fairfield Schools Toni Jones said students expressed concerns regarding unspecified social media posts leading police to “take immediate action.”
“There is no perceived threat to any (Fairfield Public School),” wrote Jones in an email to the Fairfield Citizen early Wednesday morning.
Fairfield Ludlowe High School posted to Twitter Tuesday, just before midnight, “FLHS is aware that an individual was causing concern among our students because of some social media posts. The individual is in police custody and there is NOT a perceived threat to FLHS or any FPS school.”
“We are grateful for our Fairfield law enforcement who work with us around the clock,” said Jones in her email to the Citizen.
The incident comes on the heels of a harrowing day in neighboring Westport, where an apparent plan by a student to inflict a mass casualty incident was foiled by an alert student.