The town has received a $1.8 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency as reimbursement for cleanup costs left in the wake of Superstorm Sandy's devastation of the local shoreline in October 2012.

Announcement of the $1,782,119.94 for debris removal and disposal costs was made Monday by First Selectman Michael Tetreau.

The reimbursement is at the 75 percent maximum federal cost share level for $2,376,159.91 of eligible charges filed by the town, according to the announcement.

"We are very grateful to FEMA for this reimbursement," Tetreau said in a statement announcing the FEMA reimbursement. "I'm appreciative of our diligent town officials and the State Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security who have worked hard to properly secure this much needed funding."

Town officials submitted the request to FEMA last May 3. The federal agency approved the Fairfield application on Feb. 10.

The payment reimburses the town for 4,018.5 straight time and 2,033 overtime work hours and 10,160 equipment hours expended to remove, process and dispose of the storm debris, according to Tetreau's statement.

Town personnel and contractors removed 4.090.54 cubic yards of storm-related vegetative debris, 9,618.6 cubic yards of construction/demolition debris from damaged buildings, 35 55-gallon drums of hazardous waste, and 2.95 tons of electronic debris and appliances, the town reported.

In addition, 3,568.9 cubic yards of sand, which had been deposited in parking lots and roadways by the storm's surge, were also disposed of.

Robert Mayer, the town's chief fiscal officer, said in the statement, "It has been a long process, however, we are happy with the result achieved for the town's debris cleanup reimbursement application."