Fairfield is fortunate to have history in its midst, including a home built in 1750, before the Revolutionary War. The historic 1750 Ogden House is located at 1520 Bronson Road in Fairfield and is open for tours every Sunday from now through Sept. 25 from 1 to 4 p.m. Fairfield Museum docents will lead tours about the history of the house and the Ogden family.

The Ogden House is an exceptional survivor of a typical mid-18th century farmhouse and provides a glimpse into the life of a middle-class colonial family. David and Jane Sturges Ogden began their marriage in this home, settling into farm life and establishing a family legacy that lasted 125 years. The Ogden House contains fine furniture, spinning wheels, tablewear and other objects from the Fairfield Museum collections. Once surrounded by nearly 75 acres of farmland and several outbuildings, the Ogden House stands next to Brown’s Brook in the fertile Mill River Valley. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In addition, the Colonial Kitchen Garden adjacent to the house are generously maintained by the Fairfield Garden Club. The garden, located behind the house, features raised beds, walkways of crushed sea shells with plants and herbs typical of those used at the time. Guests can walk on the oyster shell paths and view colonial-era plantings. The site also contains an apiary to signify the importance of beekeeping during colonial times. Bee pollination was a key to keeping the gardens productive.

In fact, on Sept. 25, 1 to 4 p.m., Ogden House will host its annual Honey Day event. Celebrate the colonial legacy of the honey bee and learn about beekeeping, enjoy sun tea and refreshments. Attendees can learn bees, make craft project and purchase honey made on site in Fairfield.

Tours are $5 for adults; $3 for students and seniors; Free for Fairfield Museum Members. Closed July 10.

For more information visit Fairfieldhistory.org.

More Information

1750

The year the Ogden House was built in Fairfield.