Way Back When ... 1920
F. Scott Fitzberald and his wife Zelda spent a period of their lives in Connecticut. It was five months during 1920, it was their honeymoon and it was the first time they had their own home. Local authors Richard “Deej” Web and Robert Steven Williams wrote a documentary film about the Fitzgeralds’ idyllic period in Westport and how that time affected the couple. Fitzgerald called that period “the happiest year since I was eighteen.”
Although scholars have dismissed the influence of that time period, the upcoming film “Gatsby in Connecticut: The Untold Story,” holds answers to questions that cannot be answered by studying Long Island alone. The film combines real detective work with a paean to the Jazz Age, the era currently being explored by the Fairfield Museum in their exhibition, “Flappers: Fashion and Freedom.”
Webb also wrote a companion book, “Boats Against the Current: The Honeymoon Summer of Scott and Zelda,” which offers additional insight into the couple’s time in Connecticut. The back cover notes: “In 1920, F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald moved to Westport, Connecticut, next door to a reclusive multi-millionaire who threw extravagant parties. A few years later, ‘The Great Gatsby’ was published.” The book is available at the Fairfield Museum Shop, and would make a wonderful gift for locals with an interest in history or literature or a fan of “The Great Gatsby.” The Museum Shop is open daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Both of the documentary writers, Webb and Williams, will be at the Fairfield Museum on Nov. 9 for a special event, “Museum After Dark: Gatsby in Connecticut.” They will discuss the upcoming film and will sign copies of the book. The event is open to the public. A reception will take place at 6:30 p.m. and the program will begin at 7 p.m. The event is free for museum members and a donation of $5 is suggested for non-members. For information visit www.fairfieldhistory.org/events/museum-after-dark-gatsby-in-connecticut/.
About the Fairfield Museum & History Center
The Fairfield Museum & History Center and Museum Shop, located at 370 Beach Road, is open seven days a week, 10am-4pm. Members of the Museum and children under 5 are admitted free. For more information, call 203-259-1598 or visit Fairfieldhistory.org. The Fairfield Museum relies on funding from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The Museum is especially grateful for support from the Department of Economic and Community Development, Connecticut Office of the Arts, the State of Connecticut, Town of Fairfield and Fairfield County’s Community Foundation.
The year F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda spent a period of their lives in Connecticut.