It may have been a few days later than expected, but once Wilton picked up its sticks and was underway in its quest for a conference championship, the rust quickly wore off.

In other words, the Warriors did not make the same mistake twice.

Wilton reached into the semifinals of the FCIAC tournament by defeating Fairfield Ludlowe 4-0 at Davis field in Fairfield.

With the win, the Warriors set up a date with New Canaan, which defeated Norwalk earlier in the day. With the weather issues creating a long layoff for a number of teams, second-seeded Wilton made no mistake in putting away the Falcons and went a long way towards avenging last year's defeat to Greenwich at the same stage of the season.

"I'm quite pleased with their performance, considering that most of them don't have heat at their houses," Wilton coach Deirdre Hynes said.

Valentina Tudisco led the way for Wilton with two goals. Hannah Riney had a goal and two assists. The duo combined on the opening goal of the game nearly 11 minutes into the first half.

"Valentina has been excellent on finishing plays this season," Hynes said

Riney blasted a shot from the outside that was tipped on goal by Tudisco and past the Ludlowe defense and into the back of the net. The goal settled the Warriors and for much of the remainder of the game they were on cruise control.

"We definitely needed the first few minutes to settle in. We hadn't picked up a field hockey stick since Saturday, so getting that first goal really helped," Hynes said.

Wilton controlled play from the start and offered little hope to the Falcons, who had scrambled into the postseason by winning three of their last four games.

"We are much stronger today than where we were earlier in the season, even though the score didn't reflect that," Ludlowe coach Cathy Hamill said. "I felt that we made them work for the win. I was happy with the way we played tonight; Wilton is clearly a very good team."

Ludlowe had a few chances to get back into the game, but Warriors netminder Lizette Roman-Johnson was on hand to stop whatever threat came her way. Stephanie Gorab had the best chance for the Falcons on a breakaway with the score 1-0, but it wasn't the

Falcons' evening.