The Darien girls lacrosse team scored a much-needed 13-7 win on the road against Fairfield Ludlowe on Friday afternoon.

Taylor Hardison led the way by scoring five goals and dishing out two assists for the Wave, who led for the entire game.

Ludlowe managed to keep the action deep in Darien territory for most of the opening three minutes, but Blue Wave netminder Claire Dickson was up to the challenge of stopping a pair of Falcon shots to keep the game scoreless. Dickson would go on to make 10 saves on 14 shots before giving way to backup goalie Caylee Waters with six minutes to play in the game.

More Information

Fact box

Waters stopped three of six shots.

"Claire is very calm and poised in the goal," Darien coach Lisa Lindley said. "I think she challenged their shooters and came out and frustrated them, especially on their high shots because she kept stopping them."

Darien opened the scoring just under four minutes into the contest when Jenna Frits, who notched two goals and an assist on the afternoon, took in a pass from Brynn

Gasparino, who scored a trio of goals and one assist, and beat Ludlowe goalie

Jill Moffett for the 1-0 lead.

After Frits notched the first goal of the game, Darien built a 5-0 lead on a goal by Hollis Perticone and three in a row by Hardison. Darien's second, third and fourth goals of the contest occurred within a minute of each other.

"Darien executed very well. I thought they had a really good first half," Ludlowe coach Amy Alvord said.

Ludlowe got on the board 11 minutes into the first half when Kendall Stevenson beat Dickson to cut the lead to 5-1. Ludlowe's only other goal of the first half was scored by Meredith Petralia. In the second half, the Falcons received tallies from Ali Gorab, Sarah Nesi, Mary Deliberti, KC McAuliffe and a second goal by Nesi.

Ludlowe, which enjoyed a seven-game winning streak from April 16 to April 29, has since dropped consecutive games to Staples and Darien.

Alvord indicated that she was disappointed in how the game played out, but she did take some satisfaction in knowing that her team never gave up, despite trailing by scores as high as 5-0 and 10-2. Although they trailed 9-2 at halftime, the Falcons rebounded to win the

second half by a score of 5-4.

"We won the second half and that's one of the positives we can take from this," Alvord said. "Unfortunately, that's been really consistent that we get into a big hole, so we're working on showing up for the first half."