BRIDGEPORT — As the city’s police force works to further address issues about quality of life, officers cracked down on illegal dumping in three incidents last month.

The city launched an initiative to focus on illegal dumping, and offering rewards for residents who report and document illegal dumping instances, in early March.

The campaign is an effort to promote better quality of life throughout the city and prevent bulk trash from being dumped in neighborhoods.

Mayor Joe Ganim mentioned some arrests in a recent Facebook live video to residents for COVID-19 updates. City officials provided incident reports from two separate illegal dumping complaints.

On March 26, a resident called police to report seeing a white U-Haul pickup truck with Arizona plates parked on Asylum Street near the old dog pound, a police incident report said.

The caller told police he saw three men take construction debris off the truck and throw it into the street.

The complainant said he filmed it on his cellphone and the three men told him to stop recording or they would “hurt” him, the report said. The suspects left toward Boston Avenue.

The officer found the U-Haul in the parking lot of the Boston Avenue U-Haul facility. The officer checked the bed of the truck and found tile fragments and a white wire wrap.

When police had the U-Haul facility find the contract for the suspect vehicle, it was found to have been rented that same afternoon and returned shortly after the illegal dumping complaint came in.

The vehicle was rented by Francisco Paulino, who has a Bronx, N.Y., address but told police he lives on East Main St. in Bridgeport.

The officer spoke with Paulino over the phone and then went to his East Main Street residence, where the officer issued Paulino a misdemeanor summons, charging him with illegal dumping.

The report said “it is estimated that it will cost the city $2,500 to clean up and properly dispose of the construction debris.”

Earlier in the month, on March 18, an officer was dispatched to the 100 block of Central Avenue to investigate a dumping complaint.

The complainant told police they saw two individuals throwing garbage out of the back of a black Nissan Pathfinder with a Connecticut plate.

As the driver tried to leave the scene, other officers pulled the driver over — Julio Torres, of Barnum Avenue.

“Torres stated he had taken apart three air conditioners and put the metal parts back into the vehicle so he could sell the parts at the scrap yard,” the incident report said.

Torres told police he was going to return and pickup the garbage after he sold the scrap metal, the report said.

Officers issued a misdemeanor summons charging Torres with illegal dumping.

Less than a week prior, on March 12, an officer was sent to the 50 block of Crescent Street on an illegal dumping complaint.

The witness told police he was driving on Crescent Street when he saw a person standing in the bed of a Ford F250 pickup, throwing garbage onto the sidewalk, an incident report said.

The witness allegedly yelled at the suspect — identified by police as Athos Laorindo — and he stopped throwing items off the truck. Laorindo was there with another suspect, who was not seen throwing any items and was not charged.

The other man told the officer he was putting the garbage on the truck’s bed.

Laorindo told police the other man picked him up in the truck earlier in the day. The report said Laorindo told the officer that the other man told him to throw the garbage out of the truck when they were on Crescent Street.

Laorindo was issued a misdemeanor summons, charging him with illegal dumping.

The truck used in the crime was unregistered and uninsured, the report said. It was towed and a hold was placed on the vehicle for its use in the crime.

“There is an estimated cost of $1,500 ... for the city public works to remove and properly dispose of the garbage,” the report said.

Evidence of illegal dumping can be emailed to pickinitup@bridgeportct.gov. Residents can also call 203-330-4203.