Bridgeport homicide victim called 911 before fatal shooting
BRIDGEPORT — More than 24 hours after a deadly shooting claimed the life of 57-year-old Philip Ingram, officials confirmed Saturday that he called 911 just minutes prior to being fatally wounded.
The city’s 911 service took a call at 9:03 a.m. Friday from a man who told the call-taker that a person got into a “verbal altercation” with him and brandished a weapon in the area of Arctic and Jane streets.
The caller, police said, then followed the individual with the weapon.
“It seems that the victim had called 911 reporting a verbal altercation with another party when that party brandished a weapon,” said Scott Appleby, director of emergency management/communications and homeland security, on Saturday.
On Friday, investigators were considering that the 911 caller might have been Ingram but had not yet confirmed it.
He said it was unclear what prompted the original altercation.
While officers were en route to the call of the person with a weapon, Appleby said, the city’s ShotSpotter system picked up gunfire at 9:09 a.m. in the 800 block of Kossuth Street.
Appleby said the location of the shooting was “a few blocks away” from where the altercation was reported from.
Officers got to the scene of the reported shots fired at 9:10 a.m. and found Ingram — a Bridgeport resident — in the street suffering from critical injuries.
Medics transported Ingram to Bridgeport Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:53 a.m.
Appleby said Saturday that investigators continue to review all video in the area and ask any witnesses to come forward. He said the case remains a “very active” investigation.
Ingram’s death marks the city’s third homicide of 2020 and the first in the month of February.
By this time last year, five people had been killed in Bridgeport — four of which died from gunfire.
Anyone with information about Friday’s homicide is asked to call the Bridgeport police tip line at 203-576-8477. Callers can remain anonymous.