FAIRFIELD -- Douglas Garni was a complicated man -- someone described by at least one neighbor as having a temper, but who was also a licensed emergency medical technician, regularly seen walking his dogs around the white, picket-fenced Fairfield condo complex where he lived.

Garni, 40, died late Saturday night from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a 3 1/2-hour standoff with heavily armed police at Colonial Gardens Condominiums. He had barricaded himself in a unit of the Colonial Gardens Condominiums about 7:30 p.m. Saturday after police said he threatened his girlfriend, prompting her to take refuge at a nearby condo and call police.

The woman told officials that Garni had several firearms registered in his name that he kept in their condo.

On Sunday afternoon, neighbors described Garni as a complicated man who had lived in the complex for at least a decade and had recently been president of the condo association.

"We all knew he had a temper," said one neighbor, who declined to give her name. "But we never thought he'd go this far."

Fairfield Police Sgt. Suzanne Lussier said there were at least two guns found at the condo -- a handgun and a long, "assault-style" gun. Both were registered to Garni.

Garni also had two dogs, and police said at least one is being cared for by a family friend.

Prior to his current girlfriend, Garni had been married, according to legal documents. In July 2007, he and his ex-wife were charged with disorderly conduct. A brief check of state court records didn't show any convictions from the arrest.

Lussier said Garni and his current girlfriend had no prior history of domestic violence.

Another neighbor, Patricia Ford, said she didn't know Garni well but he seemed like "a really nice man who was seen faithfully walking his dog and speaking to residents on a regular basis."

Garnia was also a licensed EMT, according to the state of Connecticut's licensing website. His license was issued in 2009 and was active at the time of his death.

On Saturday, officers arriving at the scene set up a perimeter around the condo where Garni had barricaded himself, and evacuated residents from several nearby units as a safety precaution.

Fairfield and Bridgeport police dispatched their Emergency Services Units to the scene, and police negotiators from Fairfield and Norwalk also were sent to try to contact Garni. Fairfield firefighters and AMR Ambulance personnel were also on scene during the standoff in case their services were needed.

Negotiators were unsuccessful in their attempts to contact Garni by phone and public-address system over the course of the standoff.

About 11 p.m., a single gunshot was heard from a wooded area just north of Garni's condo, police said, and Emergency Services Unit officers quickly found his body there. He died from what preliminary indications detail as a self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials said.

"The standoff is over now," Police Chief Gary MacNamara said at about 11:15 p.m. Saturday. "This individual, unfortunately, chose to end his life."

Police detectives and personnel from the state Medical Examiner's Office remained on the scene until about 2 a.m. Sunday to complete their investigation of the incident.