STAMFORD — A man was taken to Stamford Hospital after his hand got caught in a chimney flue Saturday evening.

According to the Stamford Fire Department, at 6:38 p.m. Saturday, fire personnel responded, along with Stamford Emergency Medical Service, to Givens Avenue for a report of a man with his hand caught in a chimney flue.

Fire officials said the man was cleaning up a construction area when a 5-foot piece of unsupported chimney came down and pinned his arm against the shaftway.

Fire crews from Engine 4 and Rescue 1 first stabilized the chimney and then dismantled it to free the man’s arm, officials said. A tourniquet was placed on the man’s arm to prevent health implications from compartment syndrome — a serious condition that can occur when there’s a large amount of pressure within the muscles of a certain area of the body.

Without treatment, compartment syndrome can cause permanent muscle damage, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Compartment syndrome was a concern in this case, fire officials said, because “there was a substantial crush injury.”

Once the man was freed, Stamford EMS took over medical care and then transported him to Stamford Hospital