STAMFORD — Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying the second of two men who punched and kicked another man in Latham Park during the time that protesters had taken over the area last month.

It is not clear whether the two suspects seen on video assaulting the much smaller man were among the protesters, police said.

Police would not discuss details of the incident, citing the ongoing investigation. Bureau of Criminal Investigations Lt. Tom Scanlon said police are investigating two assaults that occurred in the park during the occupation.

The police released a video of the assault, and it came with a warning: “The video you are about to see is graphic and not suitable for children. It contains violence and strong language that may be offensive.”

The two-minute clip taken during the late evening hours of Sunday, July 12, shows a man with a beverage in his hand talking to to two larger men. A woman can be heard saying, “He’s drunk. That’s the problem.”

At the 1:25 mark of the video, one of the men, who has already been identified by police, punches the male victim with his right hand, sending him onto the ground.

As the person who threw the punch holds the man down on the ground with his legs and feet, a second man with a beard, wearing shorts with stripes, begins pummeling the man with his fists before kicking the victim in the head and stomping on him, the video shows.

The victim had swelling to his face and head but refused medical attention, Scanlon said. Although police say they have identified one of the suspects, Scanlon said that no arrests had been made in the case, and investigators were submitting arrest warrants for a judge’s signature.

Police are asking the public for help in identifying the bearded man in the video.

The assault took place one day after the protesters took over the park following a march in honor of Steven Barrier, a 23-year-old Stamford man who died while in police custody in October 2019. The activists called for defunding Stamford police and for a demilitarization of the department as well as greater transparency of internal police investigations.

Protesters stayed in the park with about 20 tents until the following Friday, when Mayor David Martin told them they would have to leave.

Anyone with information on the identity of the bearded man is asked to call investigators at 203 977-4417.