FAIRFIELD — America had just celebrated its 244th birthday, the Declaration of Independence having been approved on July 4, 1776. “Then on July 8, 1776, Colonel John Nixon of Philadelphia read a printed Declaration of Independence to the public for the first time on what is now called Independence Square,” according to the website for the non-profit National Constitution Center.
That means the tan-colored, updated antique colonial house at 3435 Morehouse Highway pre-dates the formation of the United States. It was built in 1734, making it one of the oldest houses in Fairfield — so this house has witnessed a lot of history. And its location, in the northernmost section of Greenfield Hills on the border of Easton, protected it from British torches on July 7 and 8, 1779 when they set the town ablaze.