BRIDGEPORT -- The only period the Bridgeport Sound Tigers didn't control at the end Tuesday night was overtime.

Tomas Kundratek's second goal, with 25.6 seconds left in OT, secured the Hershey Bears' 4-3 win at Webster Bank Arena.

Bridgeport had great moments throughout the game, earning a point for the overtime loss, but couldn't put the Bears away.

"I thought we got a lot of chances," defenseman Jon Landry said. "We're dominating teams down low, behind the net.

"Unfortunately we're not finding the net, not taking it to that next level. We're letting teams hang around."

Attendance was 4,918.

The Sound Tigers have lost three in a row by one goal after a 7-1-1-1 stretch.

They played with essentially their regular lineup Tuesday despite the tentative end of the NHL lockout. The New York Islanders should be calling for several players by the end of the week.

But Bridgeport lost two defensemen in the third period Tuesday. Aaron Ness took a stick to the mouth early in the period, losing several teeth. Nathan McIver left the ice with four minutes left in discomfort after a hit along the boards.

That might have helped Kundratek, the former Connecticut Whale defenseman, find an open path to the net to backhand the game-winner under Kevin Poulin's pad.

Bridgeport had a few shifts that pinned Hershey deep, that forced icings, that led the Bears to call their time out late in the second. The Bears and Dany Sabourin (35 saves) withstood them.

"It was one of those games -- I looked, it was 9 o'clock, and it was the start of the second period," Bridgeport coach Scott Pellerin said. "We weren't able to sustain any of that momentum we got early in the periods, whether it was icing calls, time outs, a couple of times the glass had to be fixed."

Johan Sundstrom finished a rush 3:39 into the game, the sixth time in seven games Bridgeport has scored in the first four minutes. Hershey scored twice in 45 seconds to take the lead before Colin McDonald's redirection tied it with 2:57 left in the first.

Bridgeport took a 3-2 lead in the third; Brandon DeFazio jammed home a loose puck in the crease after Sabourin stopped a McDonald breakaway with 12:11 left in regulation. Evan Barlow tied it off a Jeff Taffe feed 32 seconds after that.

Referees Graham Skilliter and Geno Binda awarded the Bears no power plays, only the second time in 12 seasons that Bridgeport hasn't needed the penalty kill. But the Sound Tigers went 0-for-5 on their own power play.;;

3 stars

1. TOMAS KUNDRATEK, HERSHEY: Offensive defenseman scored two goals, including the winner.

2. DANY SABOURIN, HERSHEY: Made 35 saves.

3. COLIN McDONALD, BRIDGEPORT: A goal in the first, set one up in the third.

UNSUNG HERO: Kevin Poulin had some big stops among his 24.

UP NEXT: Friday at Providence, 7:05 p.m.


Hershey 2 0 1 1 -- 4

Bridgeport 2 0 1 0 -- 3

First Period -- 1, Bridgeport, Sundstrom 10 (Niederreiter, Ullstrom), 3:39. 2, Hershey, Stoa 4 (Clackson, Hamill), 13:20. 3, Hershey, Kundratek 10 (Potulny), 14:04. 4, Bridgeport, McDonald 6 (Cizikas, Ness), 17:03. Penalties -- Clackson, Her, major (fighting), 2:57; Gallant, Bpt, major (fighting), 2:57; DiSalvatore, Her (tripping), 4:20.

Second Period -- No scoring. Penalties -- Taffe, Her (slashing), 6:03; Gallant, Bpt (cross-checking), 6:03; Hamill, Her (slashing), 13:57; McIver, Bpt (unsportsmanlike conduct), 13:57; Taffe, Her (goaltender interference), 14:45.

Third Period -- 5, Bridgeport, DeFazio 7 (Watkins, McDonald), 7:49. 6, Hershey, Barlow 2 (Taffe, DiSalvatore), 8:21. Penalties -- Potulny, Her, double minor (high-sticking), 1:21; Niederreiter, Bpt (slashing), 3:14; Hamill, Her (slashing), 8:51.

Overtime -- 7, Hershey, Kundratek 11, 4:34. Penalties -- None.

Shots on goal -- Hershey 10-9-7-2--28. Bridgeport 8-14-13-3--38.

Power play opportunities -- Hershey none, Bridgeport 0 of 5.

Goaltenders -- Hershey, Sabourin 5-4-0 (38 shots-35 saves). Bridgeport, Poulin 10-7-2 (28-24).

Attendance -- 4,918. Referees -- Binda, Skilliter. Linesmen -- Baker, Redding.